"Only What's Done For Christ Will Last"

The following poem, written by Charles Studd, was presented at my grandfather’s funeral in January, 1959. It was befitting for a man who lived his life for Christ.

As the wise man Solomon once declared regarding his life and his many accomplishments here on earth: “Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 2:11).

Solomon realized that all of our labor here on earth is empty and insufficient in and of itself — just an empty shell of what really matters, as Mr. Studd emphasizes in his poem — “Only what’s done for Christ will last” (1 Timothy 6:17-19; 2 Timothy 4:6-8).

Two little lines I heard one day, Traveling along life’s busy way; Bringing conviction to my heart, And from my mind would not depart; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Soon will its fleeting hours be done; Then, in ‘that day’ my Lord to meet, And stand before His Judgment seat; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, the still small voice, Gently pleads for a better choice; Bidding me selfish aims to leave, And to God’s holy will to cleave; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, a few brief years, Each with its burdens, hopes, and fears; Each with its days I must fulfill, living for self or in His will; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

When this bright world would tempt me sore, When Satan would a victory score; When self would seek to have its way, Then help me Lord with joy to say; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Give me Father, a purpose deep, In joy or sorrow Thy word to keep; Faithful and true what e’er the strife, Pleasing Thee in my daily life; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Oh let my love with fervor burn, And from the world now let me turn; Living for Thee, and Thee alone, Bringing Thee pleasure on Thy throne; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.

Only one life, yes only one, Now let me say, ’Thy will be done”; And when at last I’ll hear the call, I know I’ll say ’twas worth it all’; Only one life, ’twill soon be past, Only what’s done for Christ will last.’” Charles Thomas Studd

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments