"Age Is A Quality Of The Mind"

There’s no question in this writer’s mind that age is relative. In a gifted and talented classroom, a student was once asked how old he was. He replied, “Well, the latest personal survey shows my anatomical age as seven, my psychological age as twelve, my physiological age as six, and my moral age as four. However, I presume you are referring to my chronological age, which is eight.

Dear reader, our age does not depend upon our accumulated birthdays, but upon the elasticity of our spirit and the vigor of our mind. In fact, age is a quality of mind (cf. Joshua 14:5-15).

The following poem by Edward Tuck, illustrates the point:

Age is a quality of the mind:
If you have left your dreams behind,
If hope is cold;
If you no longer look ahead,
If your ambitions fires are dead
Then you are old.

But if from life you take the best,
And if in life you keep the jest,
If love you hold;
No matter how the years go by,
No matter how the birthdays fly
You are not old(source).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments