Taking Advantage Of God's Treasure Chest

Most of us wouldn’t ignore a dollar lying on the ground. We would gladly pick it up and put it in our pocket. Yet we often ignore the Bible, a treasure chest overflowing with God’s precious promises (2 Peter 1:2-4; cf. 2 Corinthians 6:16-18; 2 Corinthians 7:1). David, the likely author of Psalm 119), recorded the rich blessings he experienced as he studied God’s Word and stored it in the pocket of his "heart" (Psalm 119:10-11).

David not only rejoiced in God’s Word, but he also used it as a personal safeguard against sin. He said to God, “Your Word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You” (Psalm 119:11).

But David did more than memorize it. He saturated his heart with its truth, using these methods: He "meditated" on God’s precepts, contemplated His ways, and delighted himself in the Lord’s teachings (Psalm 119:15-16). Therefore he could say, “I will not forget Your word” (Psalm 119:16), for we don’t easily forget what we treasure in our hearts (Matthew 6:21).

The Bible, God’s treasure chest, is the basis for all the articles I have written on this blog. As we read these articles, let’s take the time to read and study the associated Scripture verses. They are designed to help us hunt for precious gems in God’s Word. Like David, let’s hide them in our "heart" so that we’ll remember them and rejoice (Psalm 119:14 KJV).

"My Bible to me is a treasure house,
Where I can always find
Whatever I need from day to day
For heart and soul and mind.—Anonymous

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments