Is My Name "Martha"?

Jesus had arrived in Bethany, perhaps unexpectedly. Evidently, he was accompanied by some of His disciples. It was Martha who “received Him into her house” (Luke 10:38). Her warmth of hospitality is evident as she sets herself to the task of providing for her guests. We praise Martha for this, and acknowledge that she sets a good example as a hostess.

It seems that for a time, her sister Mary had helped her, but then had stolen away in another room to sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to His wonderful words. This brings a complaint from Martha who “was distracted with much serving.” She went to Jesus and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me” (Luke 10:40).

I can almost see the shock on Martha’s face when Jesus replied, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things; one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which shall not be taken away from her.” The rebuke is evident, but is somewhat softened by calling Martha’s name twice. Jesus was not harsh or severe. He just wanted Martha to re-evaluate her priorities. She was stressing the material side of life, while Mary placed emphasis on the spiritual.

Martha attached undue importance to the kind of work she was doing. She found fault with Mary not helping her, and accused Jesus of unkindness in allowing her sister to shirk her share of the work. Question: Is my name “Martha”? Am I guilty too? Surely this incident in the life of Jesus was written for our benefit and learning!

Mary had chosen “the good portion” — listening to Jesus! In the rush of life, and the challenge of doing many good things, have I forgotten to sit patiently at the feet of Jesus and listen? How much time am I actually giving to Bible reading and study? God said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him” (Matthew 17:5 NASB).

Am I obedient, or is my name “Martha”? John Gipson

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments