"I Am" As Used By Jesus In John's Gospel

In the gospel of John, the phrase, “I Am” is used by Jesus in three different ways: (1) It appears as a simple statement of identity in John 4:26; John 6:20; John 18:5; (2) It is followed most often by a predicate nominative (John 6:35,51; John 8:12; John 10:7,9,11,14; John 11:25; John 14:6; John 15:1,5); (3) In several places, it is used absolutely (John 8:24,28,58; John 13:19).

It is necessary to look closely at the absolute use of the “I Am” phrase. Although there is evidence of a similar use of this term in religious literature outside of the Old Testament, the Old Testament itself offers the best background for understanding its use in the gospel of John.

In the passage in which God reveals His name to Moses (Exodus 3:14), the Greek Septuagint translates the Hebrew phrase as “I Am the Existing One.” This rendition of the divine name in Greek, is paralleled elsewhere in the Old Testament.

In several places, the phrase, “I am” (literally Hebrew, “I am he“), is used as a divine name. Isaiah 43:25 ASV is a striking example. There, the Hebrew reads, “I, I am he, who wipes out sin.” The Septuagint translates the first part of this statement by using the Greek expression “I am” twice.

The Septuagint actually reads, “I am I am who wipes out sin” and the second “I am” becomes the equivalent of the divine name. The Greek translators of Isaiah 51:12 ASV, followed the same procedure.

In later Judaism, the expression, “I am” was definitely used as a name for God. Thus in the above listed passages recorded by John, Jesus uses the phrase, “I am” in an absolute sense — He is identifying Himself with God.

Source: UBS Handbook Series, United Bible Societies

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments