Understanding Our Spouse

My late wife and I were married for almost 37 years, and during that time, we learned to appreciate each other and enjoy each other’s unique qualities. But even after all those years, she still surprised me from time to time. Once she reacted to a political news report in a way that was opposite to what I expected. I told her, “I never thought you would take that view on this issue.” She responded by saying, “Your job is to figure me out, and my job is to keep you guessing!”

Beloved, the responsibility to understand our spouse is what keeps married life interesting, exciting, and indeed challenging.

Peter gives us this inspired challenge regarding our spouse: “Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered” (1 Peter 3:7).

Peter saw it as a priority for the husband to become a student of his wifeto fully know and understand her. Without that commitment to understanding his spouse, a husband is not capable of doing what comes next — honoring her.

As husbands, if we are to love our wives as Christ loves the church (Ephesians 5:25), it must begin with our zealous effort to grow in our understanding of them.

Let’s make that commitment today!

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments