Looking For Heaven

Some of my earliest experiences working with Dad around the house involved my having to be what we called the ‘gofer’. The gofer was the one that never really got to do the interesting stuff like hammering, sawing, or operating the electric tools; he had to just ‘go-for’ and get whatever was needed out of the tool box or lumber pile.

As I was being introduced to the wonderful world of tools, my first assignments naturally involved the search for things I had never before seen. Plum-bobs, routers, ratchets, speed squares, and shims were things I have never seen. Yet, every time he told me to look for something I had never seen before, I went anticipating its existence and expected to find what he had described. Never having seen it before, I knew it existed because I trusted dad’s word. He had always proven himself truthful and dependable.

Likewise, heaven is a place I’ve never seen before, yet I know it exists. I anticipate finding it because I trust in the Word of my heavenly Father. We have been assured of its existence, because God has proven Himself worthy to be trusted. His word is credible and His testimony has been validated (2 Peter 1:16-21).

He has kept every promise He has ever made. You and I do not have to meander through life wondering if heaven exists. If we go looking for it, then we will find it. However, there is a word of warning. As the apostle Peter expounds upon the thought of searching for heaven (2 Peter 3:13 NASB), he continues by saying, “since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless” (2 Peter 3:14 NASB).

Let us all therefore be diligent in our search for heaven, for it truly exists and it will certainly be worth our diligence. John Moore

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments