Reflections On My Dad

As Father's Day is fast approaching this coming Sunday, June 19th, I thought it appropriate to post this above titled article that I wrote in honor of my father's passing on April 11, 2010. In my father's latter years, I would call him every Saturday and talk with him about our life together, along with my mother and two brothers.

We remembered the several vacations we took back in the 1960's to the southern part of Canada, coming back down through the western states of Montana, Idaho,Wyoming, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. We visited most of the national parks in those states, observing the wildlife and the sheer beauty of God's creation. My greatest thrill was seeing the Grand Tetons in Wyoming and experiencing the beautiful colors of the geysers at Yellowstone National Park. And how could one forget the grandeur and majesty of the Grand Canyon.

Now all I have are the memories of the good times we experienced together as father and son, but I'm thankful to the good Lord above that He has provided me with the ability to remember those good times.

Beloved, if your father is still living here on earth, please give him a call and tell him how much you love him, and if he lives in close proximity to you, give him a big hug, for one day, he won't be around for you to either call or hug, and you will greatly miss him.

May our Heavenly Father richly bless our earthly fathers for their godly example, whether living or dead, not only this Father's Day, but every day.

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments