Six Days Older Than Dirt!

When I was still substituting in our local school district's libraries, some elementary students would ask me, "Mr. Riley, how old are you?" I would tell them, "Six days older than dirt!"

After making the above statement, I could see their quizzical eyes rolling around in their heads attempting to figure out what I was talking about. Then I would explain to them the following:

In Genesis 2:7, the text says that "the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." In Genesis 2:26-31, we learn that God created man on the "sixth day" (vs. 31) and that everything that He created was "very good."

So, I am indeed six days older than dirt (plus a few more years!).

Beloved, if we ever get to thinking that we are smarter than God with all of our so-called "higher education" degrees, it would perhaps behoove us to remember our origins ..... that we are but "dust" (Genesis 3:19), making us very "frail" creatures (Psalm 39:4) .... owing our very existence to the God of heaven and earth (Deuteronomy 8; Acts 17:22-28 NLT).

With the above knowledge, let us humbly serve our heavenly Father all the days of our life here on earth (James 4:6-10; 1 Peter 5:5-7 NLT).

Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Related Article:



Comments