It's By Design

Today, this writer purchased a new microwave oven, as my old one crashed on me after seventeen years of faithful service. My late wife and I spent over one hundred dollars for a brand name microwave in 2000, while today, I spent only fifty-three dollars for a brand name microwave. So, it is great to see that microwaves have gone down in price since 2000.

The point to the above story, is that the microwave that my wife and I purchased in 2000, deteriorated over the years to a point where it no longer functioned. In fact, everything deteriorates over a period of time.

It's by design (the second law of thermodynamics - see here).

Our bodies are deteriorating daily (see here). My seventy-three year old body has deteriorated to a point where I can no longer run as I used to do twenty years ago, because my knee joints now talk to me, telling me to slow down and walk, because they can no longer stand the impact that running requires.

In old age, our mind deteriorates down to a point when we can no longer remember names, numbers and addresses like we could when we were younger. One day, our body and its respective organs, will no longer function and we will die (Ecclesiastes 12:1-6; Hebrews 9:27 AMP).

When the last grain of sand passes through the hourglass of time, our earthly lives will be concluded (see here) and our eternal spirit will return back to our Creator (Ecclesiastes 12:7).

Beloved, our growing old is by design. The question becomes, when the time of our departure from this earthly existence comes, will we be ready to meet the Great Designer -- the Potter of our life as the apostle Paul was? (2 Timothy 4:6-8).

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments