"I Shall Not Pass This Way Again"

A Quaker missionary by the name of Etienne de Grellet (Stephen Grellet), once wrote, "I shall pass this way but once; any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again" (source).

Song writer Ronnie Gaylord obviously knew of the above quote and wrote the following lyrics to this song, sung by the late Glen Campbell:

"I will pass this way but once
If there's any good that I can do
Let me do it now
For I'll never pass this way again
I will see this day but once
If there's any kindness I can show
Let me show it now
For I'll never see this day again
Tomorrow may be too late my friend To do all the good that you planned
So reach out to those who need you And lend them a helping hand
I will know this world but once
If there's any love that I can give
Let me give it now, oh Lord please show me how
For I'll never know this world
I'll never see this day
I'll never pass this way again" (source).

Beloved, today could be our last day on earth. "That clock's hands may soon be still." Therefore, as the above lyrics state: "If there's any good that I can do, let me do it now; if there's any kindness I can show, let me show it now; if there's any love that I can give, let me give it now, for I'll never know this world, I'll never see this day, I'll never pass this way again."

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets



Comments