"Love And Discipline Are Compatible"

In the current edition of the Christian publication, "Think On These Things", author Andy Diestelkamp emphasizes the above titled truth in his article entitled, "Patience In Discipline." After placing emphasis on the reading found in Hebrews 12:5-10 NLT, brother Diestelkamp goes on to emphasize this truism: "Jesus both loves and disciplines" (Revelation 3:19).

The goal of the Lord's discipline (note how the word "discipline" is used in the Bible to bring about a desired result), is to instill and bring about an eventual self-discipline in an individual (1 Corinthians 9:27 - see article and video). This discipline principle should be taught at a very early age (see here) by concerned and loving parents (Proverbs 13:14; cf. Proverbs 19:18; 22:15;23:13; 29:15,17).  And contrary to popular belief, spanking should be an integral part of this discipline (see herehere and here).

My father spanked me (using his large hand) on my behind several times when I was growing up (and I deserved every one of them!), in order to get my attention and thus correct my obstinate and rebellious behavior. I am living proof that what the Proverb writer wrote in Proverbs 23:13 is indeed true, because I’m not only still alive today, as a result of those spankings my father gave me, I’m a much better person, spiritually and morally speaking because of those spankings (Hebrews 12:10).

Today, I realize that he truly loved me and had my best interests at heart (agape love), and even though he has since passed from this life (see here), I still highly respect him because of his loving care and concern for me and my well-being (cf. Hebrews 12:5-10; Psalm 119:75).

Beloved, if we truly love our children, we won’t hesitate to administer immediate and effective discipline when required (Ecclesiastes 8:11 - see article; cf. Psalm 50:16-22; Isaiah 26:10), and that includes spanking. Thus, as the above title of this article indicates, love and discipline (along with patience) are indeed compatible.

---Mike Riley, Gospel Snippets

Comments